Sarah at Avenue Food asked me to participate in the “Five Things You Didn’t Know Me” meme, so here goes.
- I started this blog as a way to procrastinate from work, but it “backfired.” I’m a journalist by profession, and I’ve always wanted to do feature writing. Unfortunately, staff writers are far and few; most writers are freelancers who develop specialties, think of ideas, pitch editors and follow up. That sounded hard, so I started this blog to put off work. Then it dawned on me that I knew a lot about food, and I should try writing about it, professionally. When I pitched editors, I had a bunch of professional clips on court cases and movies, but nothing on food. So, I told them about my blog, and it led to assignments from Chow.com and the AP. To this day, I’m amazed at how well-received this blog has been.
- The three foods I missed most when I vacationed in Paris were whole grains, soy foods and peanut butter. Generally, the French style of eating is healthy (French Women Don’t Get Fat stresses lots of produce and good quality, portion-controlled desserts). Salads just taste better in Paris, and I had the best cake of my life at Pierre Herme. But the French aren’t that into whole wheat bread. The first meal I ate after my week long trip last year was a PB&J sandwich on whole wheat bread and a glass of soy milk. Heaven.
- My culinary pet peeve is untoasted nuts. Growing up, I always hated nuts. Then I learned that I’d only had bad nuts. Raw nuts are like soggy balls of fat. When they’re toasted, they transform into something completely different. The fragrant oils release, and they become crunchy. Now I LOVE nuts, but only if they’re fresh and toasted. But in my book, even the best nuts are not allowed in chocolate chip cookies or brownies.
- I don’t like babies. They’re fussy, and they cry all the time.Â Everyone says I’ll change my mind when I get older, but that hasn’t happened.Â You know how people fawn over newborns? I could never understand the fuss, but I can’t resist dogs.
- Chocolate is my undoing. I can give up almost any food if I really wanted to. (I eat vegan most of the time for health and environmental reasons, but I’m a social omnivore.) If I don’t eat some form of chocolate almost every day, I’ll go crazy.
Now, I tag Kelli of Lovescool to participate!
More food related posts are to come! I’ve been backlogged.
Permalink Comments (3) Email Print