When you want a guilt-free treat, you typically reach for a piece of fruit or a rubbery muffin. Then there’s real dessert: chocolate truffles, ice cream and Nutella cake. Su Good Sweets specializes in the healthy desserts above (the chocolate, not the diet muffins). It’s all about strategically using real butter and chocolate. Delicious desserts can be good for you, without unnatural ingredients.
I’m currently the senior producer at Travelandleisure.com and was the primary producer at Gourmet.com before that. My writing has also appeared in The Associated Press, Chow.com and Ladies’ Home Journal online. Here are some of my favorite clips:
- Stuck on Spatulas – Gourmet.com
- A Dozen Eggs – Gourmet.com
- Sizzling in the Snow – the AP
- Taking Mardi Gras to the Streets – the AP
- The Rise of the Salt Tooth – Chow.com
- The Minimalist’s Dessert – Chow.com
I learned to bake long before I knew how to cook. Ever since middle school, my holiday tradition was making chocolate chip cookies with my mom. From there, I moved on to chocolate-filled macaroons, a lucky accident when I tried replicate my room mate’s favorite cookies. For a couple years, I sold hundreds of them through a word-of-mouth business. I learned how to cook by watching the Food Network (back in the day), reading cookbooks as if they were literature and helping out in some kitchens.
While I love to cook and respect chefs, I don’t intend to bake professionally. The long hours standing up aren’t for me. I’m content with writing about (and eating) dessert.
Su Good Sweets welcomes product pitches, as long as they have to do with dessert or healthy cooking. If you’d like to send a sample, feel free to contact me. While I’ll consider something for review, I can’t guarantee when/if/how it will be covered. As a service to the readers, I feature products that I genuinely like (I don’t like posting bad reviews) and disclose that it’s a free sample.
Some things I enjoy are whole grain, low-fat, low-sugar and vegan products. I also love a good bar of chocolate. I’m not fond of factory-made ingredients, such as shortening, high-fructose corn syrup, soy protein isolate and artificial flavorings. Because this is a recipe-driven site, I’m more likely to feature something I can cook with (ie a new type of flour or a baking cookbook) than a packaged product (like bottled iced tea).
Some other hints: please address me by my first name, not “Editor” or “Su.” It will make me feel special. Lastly, no one likes unsolicited mail. Please don’t add me to your mailing list unless I opt in.
- This blog is featured as one of Gourmet.com’s favorite food sites.
- Chocolate garlic and garlic chocolate chip cookies are “outrageously delicious” uses for the stinking rose. —L.A. Times, 4/19/13
- Red velvet cake recipe featured in Domino Sugar’s Sweet Inspirations, January 2011
- “…Su Good Sweets runs the delicious gamut from a Nutella babka recipe to chocolate in any form…” — Manhattan User’s Guide, 12/16/09
- Su Good Sweets’ soy sauce sorbet shows signs of “free-thinking initiative.” — Womansday.com, “Top 10 Innovative Ice Cream Flavors,” 6/10/09
- “Jessica is on the cutting edge [of] sweet ideas and she’s willing to test certain recipes that sound interesting but iffy…I like Jessica’s selection of cookie recipes and her open-minded approach to sweets.” — Blogs.com, “Top 10 Cookie Blogs,” April 2009